As an ecommerce entrepreneur, you’re always looking for ways to grow your business faster. Staying up on the latest and greatest trends is increasingly important in accomplishing that. This business moves fast!
At Payability, we want to help keep you ahead of the curve. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top personal care, wellness, and home product trends of 2022 to keep your business growing. Check out our article on tech products too!
Not only that, but we have tips and tricks on how to get your hands on hot products before the competition.
But First… 6 Insights from eCommerce in 2021
To get a sense of future trends, it helps to look back and get a sense of the state of eCommerce in 2021. Here are some key takeaways:
- Millennials and Gen Z are now the largest consumer groups, and they shop differently than earlier generations.
- Sustainability is at the forefront of many consumers’ minds when considering products in 2022.
- The work-from-home revolution has inspired many consumers to prioritize health and wellness, self-care, and balance.
- Modern consumers are demanding brand transparency.
- A digital shopping landscape has fundamentally changed the customer experience –– mobile shopping, in particular, has experienced a meteoric rise in popularity.
- Brands are selling products across multiple channels, including self-hosted websites, eCommerce marketplaces, and social media, where trending items can gain traction quickly.
Some of the top products of 2021 included reusable dishcloths, sleep masks, AirPods, and smart scales. Today, we will explore the top products you can sell in 2022.
Personal & Home Products to Sell Online in 2022
Here are a few products and product categories that have heated up this year:
Men’s Personal Care
The men’s self-care movement has been growing steadily since late 2017. Mens’ self-care products include soap and cosmetics for men, skin care products for men, nutritional supplements for men, and an assortment of other self-care items that have traditionally had a small presence in male markets. Google Trends data currently shows the highest search volume for “self-care for men” in California, Texas, and Pennsylvania.
Vitamins, Supplements, Protein, Oh My!
It’s official: the supplements market is hot, hot, hot! Here are some particulars.
- Customers are more and more focused on digestive health, and it shows in their spending habits. Digestive enzymes, pre- and pro-biotics, and apple cider vinegar are all on the rise.
- Green powder —powder packed with nutrient and vitamin- rich vegetables— has started to rise in popularity once again after what looked like a peak in 2014, according to Google Trends. In a world facing a global supply chain crisis, there are many opportunities for domestic brands to meet consumer demand for green powder without facing the increased tariffs and supply chain challenges impacting internationally-sourced supplements.
- Consumers are buying up a wide variety of protein products, from traditional powders and drinks to protein cookies and even cricket-based protein bars. Protein cookies have seen steady growth in demand ever since 2010.
- CBD continues to grow in popularity. Similarly, other non-psychoactive hemp-derived cannabinoid supplements have grown in popularity recently too. Consumers are taking CBG and CBN to help with pain relief and sleep, for example. And more merchants are offering products derived from Delta-8, another cannabinoid. Federal clarity on marijuana laws is expected this year or next which could mean huge growth in this category.
The supplement space can be both capital-intensive and risky—it requires a lot of capital upfront but it’s also highly lucrative. Those are the risks and rewards you have to weigh as an ecommerce entrepreneur.
(Specific) Clothing & Accessories
The online market for clothes and accessories can be daunting to navigate as a seller. Fortunately, there are opportunities for sellers in specific types of clothing and accessories that won’t require you to stay up-to-date on what’s in fashion.
Google Trends shows that activewear—gym clothes, yogawear, running shoes— saw a massive peak during the 2020 quarantine and that demand is still high.
Also rising in popularity? Shoes of all styles made with croc-like rubber material. People want something comfy to wear around the house (and maybe out!).
Belt buckles get consistently good search traffic, with about 90,500 searches per month. Subcategories like custom, western, and unique all get heavy search volume as well.
According to Google Trends, crossbody bags have seen an explosion in demand among men and women in recent years. Crossbody bags come in various styles and materials, from sustainable hemp to ultra-durable leather. For brands branching out into crossbody bags, it’s best to niche down and target a tight market, like high fashion or sustainability.
In 2020, amidst global lockdowns and a spike in unemployment, the real estate market experienced an unexpected boom. Many consumers fast-tracked their plans to either upgrade or downsize. As a result, interest in home décor saw a big peak in 2020. It has settled down somewhat since then, but sales have settled in at a higher level than before the pandemic. Pinterest is critical for brands to incorporate into their digital marketing strategy in the home decor space.
Products for New Pets
One product category that has seen hugely increased sales over the pandemic is pet care products. More people than ever got pets over the pandemic and those pets will continue to need care (and may even pick up a pet-sibling or two) in the years to come. Examples of hot pet products right now include pet medications, vitamins & supplements, specialty food, pet cams, and eco-friendly pet toys.
Sustainable Packaging Solutions
One of the fastest-growing modern markets is sustainable and eco-friendly packaging. Google Trends shows that there has been a steady growth of consumer interest in sustainable packaging since late 2016. Modern consumers are looking to the future, expecting brands to do the same.
Some current eco-friendly packaging types that are trending include 100% recycled packaging, mono-material packaging, biodegradable packaging, and plant-based packaging. Most eco-friendly packaging brands are targeting businesses, but customers are coming to expect more sustainable shipping and packaging when they shop online.
Fund Your 2022 eCommerce Growth with Cash-Flow Aids from Payability
If you’re ready to launch or grow an online store in 2022, you’re going to need funds. Traditional funding methods are slow and tough to qualify for –– that’s where Payability comes in!
Payability offers fast, flexible cash flow aids for growing eCommerce businesses:
- Instant Advance provides up to $250k in funding for eCommerce sellers ready to scale.
- Instant Access offers accelerated daily payouts for online marketplace sellers who are tired of waiting for the funds from their sales.
- Advance Line provides a flexible line of credit for business owners who want to fund business growth without compromising control over their company.
Payability is fast. You apply online with your marketplace account and can get funded in one business day. Access your funds on your schedule with Same Day ACH, wire transfer, or Instant Transfer. Plus, you can earn up to 2% cash back on purchases you make with the Payability Seller Card.
If you’re ready to invest in marketing, inventory, or expansion for your eCommerce business, then find out what Payability can do for you!